Sweet Potato and Leek Soup

Winter is approaching fast. You can just feel it in the air. The cold weather always prompts me to make hearty soups that not only warm up the body, but the soul as well.

The grocery store had leeks and sweet potatoes on special this week, and they were just sitting side by side like they were meant to be together. This, I thought, would be the perfect opportunity to use that sweet potato and leek soup recipe that's been stowed away. I got the recipe from a friend, and never got around to making it...until now, that is.

When I brought the groceries into my car, the aroma of the leeks filled the vehicle up quickly, which made me even more excited to make my soup. This is a very flavourful soup that tastes just like what it is made up of: sweet potato and leek. Serve this with a warm baguette, and you're set.

This recipe serves 6 - 8.

Sweet Potato and Leek Soup
- 8 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 pounds of sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 leeks, cleaned and thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 3 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste

Instructions
1. Combine the sweet potatoes, leeks, chives, salt, pepper, and broth in a pot and bring to a boil

2. Reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are soft (approx 30 - 45 minutes)

3. Remove from heat and let the soup cool

4. Transfer the soup mixture to a blender and purée

5. Re-heat the soup on a low setting and serve

6 comments:

This looks great! I've made regular potato & leek soup before, but not with sweet potatoes.

by the way, I have a towel that matches your bowls ;)

Hi Olga,
That's funny, I never even thought of using regular potatoes. Your towel and my bowl should get together sometime ;)

Love this soup! Sweet potato leek soup is always a joy, but this is my favorite recipe :-)

I have never tried leeks before, but I was given some and wasn't sure how to use them. Thanks for sharing. I will have to try them with sweet potatoes.

I made this soup today. I didnt have chives, so in attempt to fill the flavour void, I added parsley and thyme. It was delicious, and I would definitely make it again. Thanks for the fantastic recipe!

This was just okay. Three leeks is overpowering if you really love a sweet potato taste. 32 oz. is 4 cups, not 8 as the recipe says. Use 8. The soup really needs a punch of flavour; really very bland.