Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen, Houston

Pappadeax, Houston

When I was in Houston, I got to experience Texas' "bigger and better" motto first hand.
For example, I ordered granola and a boiled egg for breakfast one morning, and ended up getting my order PLUS four pieces of toast, a large serving of roasted potatoes, and hot peppers on the side. I thought I had received the wrong order until I looked at the bill. Oh, and Texans mean business when they serve hot peppers. I threw a whole pepper in my mouth thinking that it would be mild, and almost died. My eyes teared up uncontrollably, and I coughed for about a minute straight. I think it took me almost 10 minutes before I mildly recovered.

Every other meal in Texas was similar to the breakfast I just described. There was so much food, I didn't know what to do with all of it.

Pappadeaux is my Texan friend N's favorite restaurant. When we asked her where she wanted to go, she didn't even have to think twice.

Pappadeaux is a huge chain specializing in quality Cajun seafood. There are 8 locations in Houston, and all are owned by the Pappas family. Find that impressive? They also own 8 other restaurant chains ranging from seafood to Mexican to steak houses, with over 60 locations across the US.
Back to Pappadeaux.

For appetizers, we all shared the lump crab and spinach dip, served with garlic bread on the side. This was a nice dip, and I loved the huge chunks of crab with every bite.

Crab Dip
Lump Crab and Spinach Dip

We also shared a plate of crispy fried alligator served with potato sticks, and creole dipping sauce. The alligator was nice and tender, and the sauce was delicious. I enjoyed this dish more than I thought I would.

Fried Alligator
Crispy Fried Alligator

My lunch was the catfish Opelousas. Served in traditional Louisina style, it was a huge piece of blackened catfish with oysters, shrimp & crabmeat thrown on top. Plenty of dirty rice was served on the side. The catfish was cooked very nicely and I couldn't believe the amount of seafood served with my fish.

Catfish
Catfish Opelousas

M ordered the fried stuffed crab. He really enjoyed his lunch and couldn't believe the size of the crabs.

Fried Crab
Fried Stuffed Crab

A ordered a pan fried tilapia topped with shrimp and tomatoes. The sauce was a light white wine sauce, and sides included fresh green beans and potatoes.

Tilapia Plate
Pan Fried Tilapia

N knew what she was going to order before we even looked at the menu: the crawfish platter. This was fried crawfish & crawfish etouffee served with dirty rice.

Fried Shrimp Plate
Crawfish Platter

For dessert, they tried hard to entice us by bringing out a complete dessert platter as the dessert menu. The dessert platter is a gigantic plate of every dessert available. They had banana pudding, pumpkin cheesecake, turtle fudge brownie, pecan pie, key lime pie, creme brulee, regular cheesecake, praline cheesecake, and bread pudding. Boy, that was a mouth full.

Dessert Tray
Dessert Menu

We decided on two desserts to share between the four of us. We had a super rich turtle fudge brownie, and

Chocolate Cake
Turtle Fudge Brownie

a banana pudding and wafers in a jar.

Banana Pudding
Banana Pudding


We had a very enjoyable meal overall. As I said, the portions were humongous, and our seafood was prepared nicely. Pappadeaux is a good casual family restaurant.

Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen (Richmond at Kirby)
2410 Richmond Avenue
Houston, Texas, USA
Telephone: 713-527-9137


Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen (Richmond at Kirby) on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

okay. I have to ask... Does alligator really taste like chicken?

The Asian Pear,
I guess that chicken is the closest thing you would compare it to. I've always read that alligator is chewy and tough, but the stuff I tried was tender. Either way, it was good. And the sauce it came with....delicious! I haven't had a lot of alligator so not sure what the texture is supposed to be like. I didn't catch any fine points...partly because we were all so hungry and partly because it was battered and deep fried.

Everything looks SOO good. im drooling. I will have to try this place. Great post

I can't believe the portions!!

Amazing..I often wonder how you get to travel so much:)

And..Happy holidays to you and yours and thanks for all the great posts:)

La Table De Nana,
My travelling is a combination of my restless personality, and my job. I get to travel once in a while for work, and will write about the places I go to if I get to catch up with friends. Personally, when I'm bored, I'm always looking for cheap trips. The luxury of not having any children...I can take trips with very little notice or planning.

Happy Holidays to you too!