Domus Cafe, Ottawa

Domus Cafe, Ottawa

My friend BB just announced that she is pregnant with her first child! Actually, I admit, I was furious when I first found out. She is one of my closest friends, and I found out through a friend who heard from a friend who found out on Facebook! My initial thought was "Seriously? This is absolutely ridiculous. WTF!!??"

To make a long story short, it turns out her husband posted a small hint of the pregnancy on Facebook, everyone who was part of their social network figured it out, and BB never got a chance to tell any of her friends in person. I would have to say that she was more furious than I was. LOL.
Because I refuse to join Facebook, I was the last to find out. After this whole fiasco, BB and I celebrated by going to Domus Cafe for dinner.

Domus serves Canadian cuisine that uses both sustainable and seasonal ingredients. Chef and owner, John Taylor, was one of the firsts in Ottawa to serve local and seasonal dishes. Dinner can be pricey, but people don't seem to notice. We were there on a Monday night, and the restaurant was packed.
We started our meal with some bread and a delicious strawberry and balsamic vinegar oil. The oil was awesome...sweet and tangy.

Bread and Strawberry & Balsamic Vinegar Oil
Bread with Strawberry & Balsamic Vinegar Oil

To fulfill my veggie intake for the day, I ordered the organic field greens salad with an empire apple & pommery mustard vinaigrette. Served with the salad were candied nuts and slices of Halls Orchard Cortland apple. I really enjoyed the vinaigrette.

Organic Field Greens
Field Organic Greens with Apple and Pommery Mustard Vinaigrette

Knowing that dessert was just around the corner, and not wanting to over stuff myself, I ordered the petit main: a grilled Quebec Bobwhite quail. The quail was served with fingerling potatoes, sauteed greens, and slices of Berkshire chorizo with a garlic scape and sweet pepper chutney. I liked the option of a petit main, and the portion size was perfect for me.

Quail
Grilled Bobwhite Quail

BB ordered their sustainable fish of the day. It was wild BC Sockeye salmon served with butter poached Le Coprin mushrooms, sauteed greens, fingerling potatoes, and some sweet chutney on the side. BB really enjoyed her dish.

Salmon
Wild BC Sockeye Salmon

Salmon and Mushrooms
Wild BC Sockeye Salmon with Le Coprin Mushrooms

For dessert, we split the vacherin. I'm not normally a meringue fan, but the waiter assured me that it was delicious. The vacherin was a giant meringue crust filled with Chantilly cream and rhubarb puree. This was served with fresh strawberries and a scoop of strawberry & balsamic vinegar ice cream. The waiter was correct, it was delicious.

Meringue with Rhubarb
Meringue with Chantilly Cream and Rhubarb

Just next door to the restaurant is Domus Housewares, a store that sells high-end kitchen gadgets and houseware.

Domus Cafe
87 Murray Street
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Telephone: 613-241-6007

Domus Cafe on Urbanspoon

0 comments: