Wayfare Tavern, San Francisco

Wayfare Tavern, San Francisco

One of my best meals in San Francisco to date was at Wayfare Tavern. A very hip yet down to earth casual place, Wayfare Tavern is the place to go if you are looking for simple hearty food done well.

Wayfare Tavern was started by celebrity Chef Tyler Florence.

The place looks exactly as the name implies: a tavern. The rustic dark wood used throughout the restaurant, combined with the antique looking stools at the bar and the ragtime type music playing in the background gives the whole place a retro feel.

I especially liked the bathroom, which is the photo you see at the top! I have a thing for cool bathrooms, and yes...I am a little strange at times.

Our meal started with these light, airy, delicious popovers. They were so good, I had to eat two. It was a nice change from the regular dinner rolls!

Popper
Popovers

To start, I ordered the roasted bone marrow with sea salt and smoked olive oil. This was served thin slices of grilled sourdough. The bone marrow was very lightly seasoned.

Bone Marrow
Roasted Bone Marrow

My lunch was the steak and eggs: a petit filet mignon with Dungeness crab and a soft egg on top.

Streak and Eggs with Dungeoness Crab
Steak and Eggs

It was a heavy lunch but so freakin good! The tender filet mignon, combined with the crab, soft egg and Bearnaise sauce was heavenly! I left NOTHING on my plate.

Steak and Eggs
Steak and Eggs

I wanted veggies with my meal, so I also ordered the roasted organic beets. The beets were mixed with a fragrant citrus oil

Organic Beets
Roasted Organic Beets

J ordered the organic fried chicken with buttermilk brine, roasted garlic, lemon, herbs, and lots of rosemary. This was a really good choice! The chicken was seasoned perfectly, and cooked nicely. Crispy and salty on the outside, juicy on the inside.

Fried Chicken
Organic Fried Chicken

JM ordered the salmon dish, but modified so that his stomach could handle it (he's got a very weak stomach from years of dining out and drinking!). He basically asked for salmon with a little salt and pepper, with a slice of bacon on top.

Salmon
Salmon

I can't remember exactly what we ordered for dessert, but it was the chocoalatiest dessert on the menu :)

Chocolate Dessert
Chocolate Dessert

I was blown away by pretty much every dish we ordered, and I highly recommend this place.

Wayfare Tavern
558 Sacramento Street
San Francisco, USA
Telephone: 415-772-9060

Wayfare Tavern on Urbanspoon

1 comments:

Was the bone marrow really good? I've never had roasted bone marrow, but have been wanting to try it since I saw Tony Bourdain eat it with Fergus Henderson.