Chiu Chow Boy, Toronto

Chiu Chow Boy, Toronto

One of Wals' favorite Chinese restaurants in Toronto is Chiu Chow Boy. He always talks about how good the food is there, so Beebs and I took my grandmother there last week when I was in Tdot.

We ordered a few Chiu Chow style lunch dishes to share.

The first was the loh bak goh, or the pan fried radish cake. It was stir fried with chillies, bean sprouts and scallions, which was different from the normal dim sum style I'm used to. It was a great variation, and the chillies added an amazing taste. I will start cooking my loh bak goh this way from now on.

Pan Fried Radish Cake
Pan Fried Radish Cake

My mom recommended the next dish, which is why I ordered it. However, the dish wasn't exactly how I imagined it. When you literally translate the name of the dish from Chinese to English, the name is 'fish skin dumplings'. Instead of dumplings with a fish skin filling, we got pork dumplings with fried fish skin thrown on top of the soup.

Pork Dumplings in Fish Skin Soup
Fish Skin Soup with Pork Dumplings

Also served in the soup was seaweed, and cabbage.

Pork Dumpling in Fish Skin Soup
Pork Dumpling

Next were thin rice noodles stir fried with veggies and soy sauce. It was simple but good.

Stir Fried Rice Noodles
Thin Rice Noodles with Veggies

The last dish also came as a surprise to us. We ordered the congee with preserved duck egg, and white fish. I've always had congee that resembled a thick porridge, but this congee was just like a bowl of soup with rice thrown into it. This is, I learned, how Chiu Chow style congee normally is.


Congee with Preserved Duck Egg and White Fish
Chiu Chow Style Congee with Preserved Duck Egg and White Fish

When I told Wals about my visit to Chiu Chow Boy, he informed me that I should have ordered the Chiu Chow marinated duck, satay beef, and congee with oysters.

Chiu Chow Boy
3261 Kennedy Road
Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
Telephone: 416-335-0336

Chiu Chow Boy on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Thanks for the review! I always pass by that place and we never go in there.

Btw... When making lo bak go, also try frying it with curry powder or the Chinese garlic-chili sauce. I've seen other restaurants make it in both ways here. And it's DELICIOUS!

When i recently visited this place in Tdot i also tried the lo bak go........ soooooooo good. Thanks for posting that, I wll look forward for more ideas from you.